Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Up and down...

When I want to go to the third floor, he opens the door for me . When I want to go back down, he’s there yet again.
Strange, I don’t quite remember how he looks. I think he was dressed in a bluish grey uniform.
   Did he have something in his hand ? I can’t recollect. Has my memory gone bad ? I’ve been there about 15 times, how do I not remember ?
Yes, there was a chair , that beige colored plastic one, sold for peanuts in any market . He’s almost always propped down on it . The man is probably 40 years of age, maybe older, his hair was greying, slightly bald also .
   Did he have a moustache ? Strange I can’t recall, ? I’ve been there about 15 times, how do I not remember ?
“Are you here all the time ‘kaka’ ?”
He wasn’t used to being questioned.
“ Ahh, this is a very surprising turn of events” .
He wasn’t used to being spoken to .
   Does, he have a book for company ? Did he wear specs ? Strange ,I can’t conjure up his image .. I’ve been there about 15 times, how do I not remember ?
“Yes, I am here for eight hours, every day sometimes 16 “.
“Wow !! Don’t you ever go dizzy , I mean its tough just travelling up and down all day, no ?? I get a jolt in my head and its just 3 floors , damn claustrophobic out here ya ...talk about boredom ”
It’s my job, I’ve been used to this, this is all I do“
“Hmm...yeah I guess “
As usual, the third floor came and the door opened ..
“ I’ve seen this girl often and I know her very well. She’s always yapping about a certain college and certain people. Her subjects never change, her topics never change, her clothes ? Ah, well I remember all of them and her friends as well. But did she see me for the first time today ? Atleast she did , but why does she always talk of the same things, she sees the bright sunlight everyday and her heart and head aren’t shrouded by circumstances, the world is filled with variety, but hell, she doesn’t remember“
“Bye ‘kaka’ “
“There someone calls me from the terrace , 176th time I’m going there today”
..and up went the lift , with that plastic chair and that petite man .
   Yet again, I forgot did I ask him his name ? He must’ve mentioned, he smiled atleast, for the first time I noticed, but his name ...what was it again ? Something beginning with ‘A’ was it or ‘O’.. ? I’ve been there about 15 times, how do I not remember ?

6 comments:

Paresh Nakhe said...

You should have considered literature as your subject. You are really good!!
About the content, i didn't really get what you were trying to put forward but whatever you write, you do it so elegantly.

Paresh Nakhe said...

By the way, i think you should allow anonymous comments

Unknown said...

:-) I absolutely got what you wanted to say. I had also planned to write a post on "that" man. You did it and oh-so elegantly. I don't think I should write one now...

Anuja said...

Nice one... A different content and you did a bang-on job of writing about an ordinary person so well... :)

Falak said...

And that's how we remember many people who are a part of our lives and then again not so much a part.
Great going I must say! Looking forward to more :)

Rujuta said...

@pratik,anuja, falak...thanks a lot guys...was quite apprehensive about penning this one down, but thought i shud do it anyway ....